Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Nonsense Poem by Bobby Goosey, "My Resistance Is Down"

 

Bobby Lee Goosey

 

My Resistance Is Down (And So Am I)

 

My resistance decided to fall today;

It fell plumb flat on the ground.

And all of the germzies came out to play:

They jumped on the chump they’d found.

 

I tried to resist but I couldn’t resist;

My resistance was flat on the ground.

And all of them germzies refused to desist,

Till they’d flayed me and laid me right down

(Beside my resistance, plumb flat on the ground).

 

Now we lie here together, we groan and we cuss;

Why can’t we get up and run free?

Them germs is a-romping and stomping on us,

My laid-out resistance and me,

My romped on and stomped on,

My played out and flayed out,

My dead beat resistance and me.



[from Bobby Goosey's Compendium of Perfectly Sensible Nonsense]

This poem is dedicated to Mac Jack Bowie on his tenth birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment