Sunday, April 5, 2020

PODCAST READING AND INTERVIEW WITH U.R. BOWIE, "The Strange Recital"


                                                   THE STRANGE RECITAL
                          "A Podcast about fiction that questions the nature of reality"

The podcast begins with a reading of the beginning of a story by U.R. Bowie, "Such Is the Scent of Our Sweet Opalescence," followed by an interview with the author and reader of the text, U.R. Bowie






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NZo4T1756s&feature=youtu.be





                        Original Text of the Interview (Varies Slightly from the Recorded Version)



Such is the Scent of Our Sweet Opalescence


BR:      Hello, mister U.R. Bowie! You must get a lot of people making a bad pun on your initials: “And you are….?”

RB:      And who are you? Actually, my real name is Robert Bowie. I always thought it was unique, until I once googled it and found there to be scads of Robert Bowies all over, including one serial killer in the state of Maine. I published three books early on under my own name, but when it came time to start publishing my fiction, I wanted something unique, so I just added the extra initial, U. And the name is unique, except even it does not prevent me from running perpetually into my nemesis on the Internet, David Bowie. Ask me why he’s my nemesis.

Why is he your nemesis?

Because his real name was David Jones, but when he decided to become a pop star he borrowed my last name, without ever bothering to learn how to pronounce it. So that the incorrect pronunciation of my surname has spread wildly now, all over the world, like the coronavirus. It’s BOO-EE, BOO-EE, BOO-EE.

TN:      Thanks for joining us by phone on the podcast. Even if you lived near our studio, which you don’t, we would still have had to do this by phone because of the lovely pandemic that has befallen us. Hope you’re staying safe and healthy.

RB:      Well, I’ve been sheltering in place, hunkering down. Actually, I was already hunkered down about as far as I could get, and then they told me I had to hunker still more. So I’m sheltering and hunkering, and social distancing. Which is easy for me, since I’ve been doing it all my life: social distancing. We introverts know how to “social distance.” Most writers of fiction are that type: basically hermits. Nikolai Gogol was the ultimate extreme in social distancing.

BR:      What we just heard is the opening of a long-ish short story. So give us a rough idea -- where does the story go from here?

RB:
It begins with a guy, UV Lamb, who was hit by lightning and was supposed to die and did not. In not dying at his appointed time, he somehow has violated certain principals of the universe—which says, “Die when your time comes, sucker.” Consequently, he must suffer. So suffer he does, until he suffers his way through to where the story began, and this time he does it right—the way he should have done in the first place. Happy ending.


TN:      I like the fact that your main character, U.V. Lamb, is a professional pataphysician. That’s a job I’ve always wanted. Where can I apply?

RB: Pataphysics is the science of that which is superinduced upon metaphysics. To become a pataphysician you need specialized training in France, where you have to study a lot of books written in French, and listen to a lot of lectures in gobbledygook, given by professors who have read similar deconstructuring gobbledygook in books by Foucault and Blanchot. Stuff about how nothing on earth is real—as if we didn’t already know that. The main character of my story, UV, cannot speak French, but he has somehow picked up the necessary education to land a job at the Interlachen Collider (in North Florida), working not only as patapysician, but also as physics assister/insister and lead quarker. Ask me what a physics assister does.

What does a physics assister do?

A physics assister assists physicists, and a physics insister insists on assisting assisters who assist and insist physicists. There.

BR:      Opalescence… what exactly is that, and what does it smell like?

RB:      The English language is full of beautiful words. Opalescence is one. Another, just to take one example, is acquiescence. That would make a great title for a book: Opalescent Acquiescence. I love the sound of the word, opalescence, the very feel of it. What does it mean? Something opalescent has the look of a pearl, it emits an iridescent shimmer, has a milkiness, like that of an opal. So everything about the word is lovely. How does it taste? Nice. How does it smell? Well, I quote from the story: “that milky-pearly and pinkish kind of smell, reminds me of fresh papaya pulp.”

BR:      I wonder… are you the first to portray Death as a simple country guy from the South who grins too much? Good name -- Delmas W. Pruitt.

RB: Good question. I don’t know exactly where my subconscious mind came up with Delmas Pruitt. He’s not exactly Death, but he is one of Death’s representatives on earth. His job is to do the dirty work of Death and then accompany the demised to the Great By and By. I’m sure there are scads of other writers who have written stories about encounters with the representatives of Death, but I can’t think of any off hand. As for the names in my fictions, I get them all out of the obituary columns in the local newspapers. The obits are full of fascinating, even opalescent people with wonderful names.

TN:      “Such is the Scent of Our Sweet Opalescence” is the title piece from a collection of stories. On the back of the book, it says these stories are, and I quote: “written expressly for readers who disdain the dominant American insipid genre of ‘domestic literary fiction.’” You’re definitely setting yourself as an outsider. Can you say a little more about that?

RB:      Probably should not go into this here, as it sets me off on lengthy rants and raves. I have written at length elsewhere on the sorry state of the American short story. See my book reviews, for example, on the website, Dactyl Review, where I am the contributing editor. Or look at the interviews posted on my personal website, urbowie.com. In brief, I believe, for example, that The New Yorker should stop publishing so much trashy fiction, and that all creative writing programs in all American universities should be abolished.

BR:      I’m taking a cue from your website, where I see you’re a scholar of Russian language and culture… I happen to be reading The Master and Margarita right now, and I know it’s a favorite book of Tom’s. Has Bulgakov been an influence on your work?

RB: That novel, “The Master and Margarita,” was hands down the favorite of all the books I taught back when I was a professor of Russian literature. Take Jesus Christ and a mobster cat, who walks on his hind legs, works for the devil, and shoots a pistol, and put all that together into a love story. As for influence on my own writing, I could name practically all the great Russians, but especially Chekhov, Bunin, Nabokov, Bulgakov, and Gogol, Gogol, Gogol.

TN:      It appears that your latest work is a spy novel that comes in two thick volumes. Give us a quick glimpse of that story, if you can.

RB: Yes, that’s by far the longest book I’ve written. It’s not exactly a spy novel, but more like a takeoff on a spy novel. I know a little bit about spookery, because back when I was in the army I used to be a spook, doing field work for the None Such Agency. What I’ve done with this book is take a lot of my own experiences and fictionalize them. The book, in a word, tells the story of a semi-spook recruited to work with Russian intelligence operatives in Central Asia, back when everyone was searching for Osama bin Laden. While waiting in Samarkand for something to happen—nothing does—the semi-spook goes back to his childhood and tells the story of how his life in spookery began. He brings that story gradually up to the present, to the day when he boards a Russian helicopter that is off to pick up Osama, to purchase him from a group of Islamic terrorists who hold him in an open-air cage in the desert.

BR:      If you had to identify a core philosophy or two that are essential to your fiction, what would they be?

RB: “Core philosophy” is maybe too highfalutin to describe my fiction. I guess the main thing is that I always have had an intense love for words. Кто я? Я филолог. Что делает филолог? Филолог любит. Что любит филолог? Филолог любит СЛОВА. I have a Ph.D. in Russian language and literature. I’m a philologist, a practitioner of philology. It’s all there in the very word. From “philos” (love) and “logos” (word). No one without an intense love for words should be writing creative literary fiction. Okay, maybe it’s okay to write fiction, but don’t pretend that the words “creative,” and “literary” apply. Unless you love words. That’s the one prerequisite.

TN:      Back to what's on everybody's mind... how is our current condition of self-quarantine affecting your work and your life?

RB: I sit here writing books every day, same as always. As I mentioned before, I’m hunkered down about as far as I can get, so I can’t hunker down any farther. Then again, I’ve always been afflicted with chronic anxiety, so the virus can’t elevate the anxiety much more. In a word, I’m fine! Then again, I pay close attention to all the medical advisories put out by the office of Mike (The Dense) Pence. Here’s one that came out this morning: “HELP STOMP OUT THE PLAGUE. If you see a virus bug flying through the air, put on medical surgical latex gloves, grab the virus, put it on the ground, and stomp on it. Three times. God bless America.”

BR:      Thank you, Robert. We appreciate your time and your contribution to our podcast. Take care.

TN:      I hope the grocery store isn’t all out of papaya. I want to sniff some opalescence.

RB:      Sniff, sniff, sniff . . . Ahhhhhhhh.


(END)

No comments:

Post a Comment