Saturday, September 24, 2022

I AM! OR AM I OVERLOOKED?

                                                        Rice Fields in Yunnan, China

I Am I Say, So Acknowledge Me

“In Hegel’s view, we exist only when we are acknowledged, and our present age is characterized by a frenetic clamor for acknowledgment, as if no one was sure he existed.”

Anatole Broyard, New York Times Book Review, January 2, 1983

 Look, look! See here, it’s me! I exist, world! Why have you spent a whole lifetime refusing to even cast a glance my way? I’m not invisible; see, I’m waving my arms. It’s me, Bobby B., I’m here! Me, me, me, me, me!

 Beware of getting what you ask for. If the voracious world turns its steady devouring gaze upon you, O overlooked homosapien, you’ll find yourself begging to be incognito again.

 Stop looking at me already! Stop it. I don’t like being looked at.

 I’m afraid of being overlooked. The original meaning of the word “overlook” is to put the evil eye on somebody.

[Excerpt from the book by U.R. Bowie, Here We Be. Where Be We?]


Quotation from Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita: "Be careful of what you wish for; wishes have this way of coming true."

No comments:

Post a Comment